Seriously. I want to help you. Nothing means more to me than you finding a job that you deserve.
Finding a job sucks, especially when you're talented. There is an easier way, and I want to teach you how to make it easier for you.
I tried to make a 100% serious book. I really did. I learned to "bleed" when I write. Unfortunately that meant humor was part of that bleeding process.
I'm Robbie Abed, a technologist and career advice giver. Since I started working in the real world, I was always passionate about furthering my career and learned a few tips and tricks down the road.
I recently quit my job and became the CTO for Technori.com. Technology was always my go to skill, but I started to find out how amazing I was at finding other people meaningful work.
I live in Chicago and love to live my life to the fullest.
Your Professional Network Sucks and it's all your fault
Everyone in your network is useless. Well, they aren’t exactly useless – but useless to you and your job search. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s entirely your fault. Because…
- Everyone in your network are people from your current or past jobs
- You didn’t actively try to meet new people
- You helped a total of zero people within your network. No one owes you any favors
- Remember the email that’s sitting in your email that you forgot about? Trust me, they didn’t forget
- No one knows who you really are besides your previous title’s
How to Fix it?
The easy answer: Meet people that could help you in 6 months, not that can help you now. As Wayne Gretzky famously said, “skate where the puck’s going, not where it’s been”
- Coffee meetings, a lot of them. Can’t get away in the morning? Meet them during lunch.
- Meet different people, not just people in your industry.
- Respond back to all those emails that are sitting in your inbox. Offer your help.
- Reconnect with people you haven’t met in a while.
- Be consistent. Do it every single day. It’s exhausting, but it’s worth every second
It will make you laugh. It will make you cry. It will make you think. It will make you want to get up and do something about your career. People also tell me it makes them hungry. Not sure why though.
You get the eBook + Video Series I put together. There are 12 videos in total.