03 Feb 50 reasons you didn’t get the job
Posted at 07:46h in Interviewing, Quitting Your Job, Resumes and Cover Letters 0 Comments
Why you didn’t get that job? There’s more than one reason…
- You weren’t qualified
- Your resume is too generic
- You’re not really good at anything
- You have no experience
- You have no industry experience
- You have no Linkedin profile
- Your Linkedin profile picture is not professional
- Your Facebook profile is set to public
- You answered interview with questions with generic responses instead of specific “I know the answer because this happened to me” type of answer
- You didn’t dress up for the interview
- You don’t know how to interview
- You sounded too desperate for the job
- You’re too smart for the job
- You’re currently unemployed
- Your salary requirements are too low
- You have an @aol.com email address
- Your background check failed
- You’re a jack of all trades, master of none.
- Your handshake was weak
- You called the interviewer by the wrong name
- You ask the interviewer what your market rate / compensation should be
- You badmouthed your previous employer
- Your resume is too long
- Long unexplained gaps in your employment history
- You didn’t ask the interviewer any questions
- You tell the interviewer your salary requirement is X, but willing to go lower if needed.
- You’re really just not a cultural fit. Sometimes an employer wants a certain mold, and you’re screwed the moment you walk in or open your mouth.
- You just wanted a job, not the specific job you were applying for
- You showed up to the interview late
- You showed up to the interview too early
- You didn’t have extra copies of your resume on you
- Your connections within the company were nonexistent. Someone who was better connected beat you out
- You weren’t confident
- You were too confident
- Your answers seemed rehearsed
- You didn’t use the STAR Approach to answering questions.
- Hiring manager already made a decision
- You treat the interviewer like your friend
- You answered your cell phone during an interview
- You’re too introverted
- You’re too annoying
- You were unlucky
- You didn’t want the job to begin with
- You’re a lot dumber than you think you are
- You’re not attractive enough to be put in front of clients (sorry, in the real world this is true although never admitted)
- Your references were weak
- You spent too much time talking about you and not asking questions
- You’re weird
- You’re creepy
- You just were not a good fit.
Update: I also ran across this article after I finished mine, which is a similar list.
PS: Read the only resignation letter template you’ll ever need.
Follow me on twitter and / or subscribe to my blog